Monday, March 2, 2009

9 months old/home 1 month!

Well, they say it takes about a month for adjustment, and I have to agree. I feel like we are all finally settling in to being a family of five. I have wanted to write and be totally honest about the transition, so I am going to try in a limited amount of time. Today is James 9 month birthday -- so hard to believe.
Here are 9 things that have happened since we've been home:

1. Double ear infections (times 2), bronchiolitis, 3 new teeth, and another cold. Needless to say, all these things made the initial transition a little difficult. I think I'd be miserable with all these things plus a new family, new climate, new house, and new time zone (8 hours different). The first 3 weeks held a lot of screaming, difficulty sleeping, and parental frustration.

2. First haircut!! We actually did that the first week we were home. We were expecting screaming the whole time because he HATES is when we mess with him (change his clothes, comb his hair, wipe his face), but Baby McDonald made him all smiles! He actually already needs another haircut -- he has CRAZY curls!!



3. Snow....we cam home to about a foot on the ground, then it snowed 4 more the first week we were home. We haven't seen any since (thank goodness), and have even had a couple of 50 degree days.


4. Grace caroline and Drew can't keep their hands off him. They love their baby brother, which is a total blessing!


5. We have settled into a routine. James is like clockwork with his schedule, yet can be flexible. Good thing, since he's the 3rd child.

6. Food...James was on cereal when we got him. I started fruits and vegetables (actually only got applesauce and sweet potatoes) when we got home. Then he developed bronchiolitis and threw up everything I fed him. So we completely backed him down to formula. We are now back up to cereal, sweet potatoes, applesauce, and bananas. And as you can see from the pictures, he is quite the chunky little guy!!

7. Dates -- yes, Matt and I have gone out. Twice!! James did fantastic with a babysitter each time. And it was good for us to be together.

8. James loves bathtime. He even will stick his face in the water. Good thing, since we Linams love the water!!



9. We all love our sweet baby boy. I have to be honest, it was really hard at first. There were times when I questioned what we had done. I think it was harder for me than for Matt, since I had the experience of carrying and nursing my other two and had to completely learn this little guy from scratch at 8 months. But now that he's been home for a month, I no longer have those thoughts. I am starting to really feel like his mom and love him dearly. He is a really happy baby and fits in quite well. I can't believe we've been home a month!!

6 comments:

Tammy said...

So sweet! Thanks for sharing the pictures and the honesty of how it is to adjust. He is such a blessing!

PicksLeague said...

I just love seeing Grace Caroline and Drew loving him so much - he has some great older siblings (and great parents, of course!).. as always, thank you for keeping us updated!

Melissa said...

OH Leann--you ARE his mom and it is so evident! He looks so happy. And he is so COMPLETELY adorable. Ahhhh---I so want to fix him up with my S.

Daisy said...

GREAT! So glad the transition is going well!!!!! I can relate to your feelings during the first week...we had suspected it'd be "easier" with a younger one (ours is 3 1/2) but apparently not. BLESSINGS!

Nikki said...

He is beautiful, and I so enjoyed reading all about ET! I just got back from Ethiopia myself and fell in love with the country. The people are just so sweet, as I am sure you experienced!! We gotta get your little guy up in yoru blog header :)
Hope the adjustment home is going well!

Nikki said...

Of course! Just shoot me an email at ncochrane3@hotmail.com and we can get working on it. I do charge $5 to switch photo(s).