Thursday, July 17, 2008

If it seems slow, be patient!

But these things I plan won't happen right away. Slowly, steadily, surely, the time approaches when the vision will be fulfilled. If it seems slow, be patient! For it will surely take place. It will not be late by a single day." Habakkuk 2:3 This verse has been cropping up all around me today!

Patience. What does that mean? My dad's favorite dicionary, Funk and Wagnall's (now encorporated into Microsoft's Encarta), defines patience in this way:

capacity for waiting: the ability to endure waiting, delay, or provocation without becoming annoyed or upset, or to persevere calmly when faced with difficulties

Those of you who know me well know that this has always been a struggle for me. I do not endure waiting or delay well (I think I'm a little better at provocation). So many times in my life I have prayed for patience, and it seems that each time the Lord gives me a delay of some sort. My prayer this time is that I will truly persevere calmly, albeit with incredible sadness.

I rest in the promise that "...it will surely take place. It will not be late by one single day."

3 comments:

Jana said...

Yes the patience thing...I hear ya! A friend bought me an ERGO baby carrier(I finally selected this one with some OCD research) and it came in the mail the day we heard it was a no-go. Being a mother, she only told me yesterday. I love that us mothers get it. She knew that it would be too hard to have that darn carrier in the house! And then yes that funny video, I can only imagine the misunderstood diagnoses coming through! You meant C2 not L2????

Michael and Michelle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael and Michelle said...

I love that our God tells us the He is never late!! Thank you Lord!! Even though in my (human) mind I want our daughter home now....I know that now is not Gods time. I am glad we are all doing better now. This wait will be over soon and we will all get to meet at the Washington DC airport...What a day that will be.

Waiting with you,
Michelle