Monday, March 23, 2009

The miracle of modern medicine


No, I don't just say this because I am a physician and married to one (and the daughter of one for that matter). We have witnessed a miracle in our house this week. 2 posts ago, I talked about our screamer. Well, turns out the poor little guy must have been screaming in pain at least some of the time. Matt and I have wondered if Sam had reflux because every now and then he will start screaming and not stop until he throws up an entire bottle, and then seems better (those that traveled with us have witnessed this). Recently, he's been arching his back and crying during mealtime in his highchair and refusing to take a bottle in the reclined postition. And it's pretty hard to give a baby a bottle upright. So I talked to our pediatrician about it at his 9 month visit last week (where he weighed 22 pounds, 10 oz -- chunker!!), and she gave us a prescription for Zantac to hold onto. Tuesday night he had another of his screaming/bottle puking episodes, and Matt said he wasn't coming home Wednesday unless there was Zantac in the house.
Since we started zantac, we have a different baby on our hands. No crying at bedtime, very little screaming (unless his brother or sister steals his toy, or he's sleepy, or he wants a bottle, or he's hurt), and he eats like a horse! Zantac has truly brought about a miracle at our house! Praise the Lord!

7 comments:

Daisy said...

WOW! What a blessing! So glad you figured out part of the problem! And what an easy fix!

Brian and Autumn said...

What a bunch of cuties!!

Matt and Emily said...

Thanks for the post. We are having the same problem here. Today Lidya screamed most of the day. She would not take any of her baby food. She would only drink her bottle. The doctor said last week at her appt. about her breathing possibly being from reflux. I think I just might call them and ask for a prescription. Glad to hear things are going well.

Clark and Sarah said...

So great to hear that the crying has gotten better. Our two year old had horrible reflux when he was born.

The Gresham Clan said...

Praise the Lord - that is wonderful!!

Anonymous said...

WOW Leann!! That is incredible news!! I am SOOOOOOOO glad for you!!

Daniel said...

Leann,
Great news. So glad to hear you have a fixable answer -- and that sweet James is getting some relief. Hurray for you all!
Sara